Churches - THE CATHEDRAL
The Cathedral Church,
also known as St. John's the Baptist Church,
was originally built between 1098 and 1132.
It has been almost entirely rebuilt, following the original
design, after the earthquake in 1743.
Inside one can admire a polychrome mosaic from 1178
and a crown in wood from 1594.
Here Ruggiero, son
of Tancredi, was crowned King of Sicily in the year
1191, and in the year 1225 celebrations were held for
the marriage of Isabella of Brienne, queen of Jerusalem,
to the emperor Federico II.
of several ages are collected in the chapels, sacristy
A chapel is dedicated
to St.Teodoro's relics, the Saint of the city
togheter with Saint Lawrence.
It's located side by
side to the cathedral's bell tower, that was completed
in 1795; from the other side there are the Bishop's
palace and Seminary building, built in 1720
by using the materials obtained from the demolished
Basilica of Saint Leucio.