Home Page
Search Brindisiweb



Part of the central historical portion of the city is still bounded by Aragon walls dating back to the mid XV century, subsequently modified by Charles the 5th, who added the 'Bastioni', rampart strategic towers.
Between these, the renovated St. Giacomo Tower stands; it today is used for public meetings and art exhibitions, and Porta Mesagne gate, in the main entrance in Brindisi. The ogival shaped main gate origin is of swebian ages (about 1243). The smaller gate was built about 1930's.
Close to the gate there is a impressive pentagonal plant rampart, built in aragon age (1530-1550); on its south-west edge the Charles the 5th coat of arms stands out.
Another important entrance (gate) to the city is Porta Lecce, flanked by her antique fortified walls.

Photogallery - Click on the thumbnails to enlarge
St. Giacomo
Porta Mesagne
Porta Lecce
The Easter Tower
The Hell Tower
Correlated documents:
» Then and now - how things change with time: Porta Mesagne
» Then and now - how things change with time: Porta Lecce

In the center of the town, along a street to Cathedral Square, there is the old building called Granafei Nervegna, of XVI century.
In Cathedral Square one can visit:

  • The Arcade belonged to the residence of the De Cateniano family (XIV century); it is located near the Archeological Museum.
  • The medieval (14th century) Loggia (lodge) of Balsamo is a building that probably housed the mint of the Angevin period. It has eight very fine arches whith house sculptured figures of persons and animals
  • The historical Archbishops Library "A. De Leo", founded in 1798, that is home to over 60,000 books, most of which are of great historical importance.
  • The Diocesan Museum "G.Tarantini", located within the Seminary building, that hosts archaeological findings, old paintings, and the "Idria delle Nozze di Cana", which is one of the six marble vases, the last to have survived, in which Jesus made his first miracle: In these vases, Jesus turned water into wine during a wedding luncheon in Cana. Also you will find the silver ark that once contained the remains of St. Theodore, and a parchment paper signed by the emperor Federico II.
Photogallery - Click on the thumbnails to enlarge
De Cateniano Arcade
Loggia of
Balsamo building

It is very interesting to visit the archaeological area in the old quarter of San Pietro degli Schiavoni. It is a roman quarter, measuring about 5.000 sq. mts., that lies under the new theatre. You can freely visit it or see it through the transparent floor of the theatre: there are ancient buildings decorated with marbles, mosaics, some Thermae and a large street made out of flat stones.
Near there, in Casimiro street, other ruins of houses and a temple are visible.

Close to Porta Mesagne gate there are some ruins of the roman aqueduct, called Vasche Limarie. The tanks were collecting drinkable water by means of pipes coming from a place named "Pozzo de Vito", 12 km far.
The subsequent flow of the water through several tanks, allowed cleaning of water by decantation, before supplying it to town's fountains.

In the middle of Victory square there is the ancient fountain built in 1618 by royal governor Peter Louis De Torres. The fountain was built to be used by the soldiers of spanish galleon that were at anchor in the harbour. All citizens contributed with both money and services to built the fountain; a marble basin, previously used as a christening font, was used and four "mouths" were applaied to it.

In Cairoli square, close railway station, there is the Anchors Fountain, built in 1937.

Photogallery - Click on the thumbnails to enlarge
New Theatre"G. Verdi"
Archaeological area
Ruins in
Casimiro street
San Pietro
degli Schiavoni
De Torres
Map of the monuments

« Back

Versione Italiana

Brindisi på dansk

Travel & Transport

Support Wikipedia

by Giovanni Membola Credits Copyright Contact