STORIES FROM OUR HISTORY
Stone Jar of Cana's Wedding
the Diocese museum, which is close to the cathedral
of Brindisi, there is a stone jar, which presumably
was brought into the city by the Crusaders directly
from the Holy Land itself.
There has always been speculation of
its authenticity, to be one of the six containers (jars)
where Jesus performed his first miracle, turning water
into wine, at the Jewish wedding in the Galilee village
of Cana, between Nazareth and Capernaum (Israel).
This first miracle is covered in the Gospel of John
2.1 verse 11, where Jesus, mother Mary and his twelve
disciples were invited to this ceremony and it was Mary
herself who proposed that her son to turn the pure water
in the six vases, into fine fragrant wine.
We do not know the destiny of the six
jars, or if in fact the one in the museum is authentic,
but it would certainly mean that this would be miraculous
in itself, if it was.
Ancient stories of the '800's tell of how it was usual
to show this container on the Epiphany (that was the
day of celebration of the Wedding in Cana) and that
it was "supposed to be" one of the six vases
used during the miracle.
the past, even the Vatican Church acknowledged the authenticity
of the Jar, as stated in a document of 1585 and in another
one of 1638. Moreover, another proof might be that the
only painting about the Cana Wedding is a fresco in
St. Maria del Casale Church, in Brindisi (see
the photo on the right).
The jar inspired other important painters
as well, like Paolo Veronese (1528-1588) for his representation
of the Wedding scene.
The jug is made from veined marble
and is flared in shape. It is 49cm high and has a circumference
of 88cm; with a capacity of about 22 liters.
It has a double handle on one side
and the other side the handle is broken off.
For many years, dating back to at least 1659, this vase
was kept at the reliquary of St. Theodore. But during
restorations to this church, in 1957 due to war damage,
this historic artifact was moved to its present location.
Giuseppe Roma, 1970 rintracciata a Brindisi una
della sei idrie di Cana di Galilea - 1970