of the city's important castles is Swabian Castle, which
was commissioned by Federico II in 1227, built from
materials obtained from the old walls and monuments
of the city.
In 1488 the Aragon
built up another external wall and moat; this way, the
inner Swabian part, with the cylindrical tower, has
been preserved during centuries.
The Castle has been
utilized as an important naval base during last two
world wars; it hosted King Vittorio Emanuele III in
1943 and was used as a central command base during Brindisi's
capital period (Sep 10th 1943 to Feb 14th 1944).